Sudanese government says failed coup plotters were from Bashir regime.

A Sudanese Military Personnel Blocking Traffic For Inspection after the Failed Coup in KhartoumA Sudanese Military Personnel Blocking Traffic For Inspection after the Failed Coup in Khartoum
A military coup d’etat attempt failed in Sudan and most of the involved officers were arrested, according to three senior government and military sources.
About 40 officers were arrested after attempting to take over the state broadcaster’s television buildings and the military general command, one senior government source said.
Following the attempt, Sudan’s military spread across the capital Khartoum.
The Sudanese Minister of information and media and government spokesman, Hamza Bloul has said the situation in the country is completely under control, after the failed coup attempt by military officers remnants of the former regime,
The transitional council is confirming that its coordinating fully and is comforting the Sudanese people that the situation is completely under control.
The military and civilian leaders of the coup attempt have been arrested and are being interrogated now after the final coup cells have been thwarted in the Shaghara Base. The authorities are chasing the remnants of the former regime who played a part in the coup attempt.
Bloul also advised citizens to be cautious. He called on the Sudanese people to be vigilant and to be aware of the repeated attempts against the honorable December Revolution.
According to a Cabinet of Minister in a statement, the Sudanese government has said it  will hand Bashir over to the International Criminal Court (ICC) along with other officials wanted over the Darfur conflict
Bashir, who ruled Sudan for three decades faces charges of genocide, war crimes and crimes against humanity in Darfur.
In December 2018, the government tried to stave off economic collapse brought on by years of US sanctions and loss of oil revenue by imposing  Emergency austerity measures and a sharp currency devaluation
Cuts to bread and fuel subsidies sparked demonstrations in the east over living standards, but the anger soon spread to the capital, Khartoum.
The lifting of most sanctions in 2017 failed to help the country, which had lost most of its oil fields when South Sudan became independent in 2011.
Initially, the protesters focused on rising costs but quickly widened into demands for the removal of president Bashir in charge for nearly 30 years and his government.
The protests reached a climax on the symbolic date of 6 April 2019 – the anniversary of a 1985 non-violent uprising that removed then dictator Jaafar Nimeiri.
The economic problems brought Sudanese from all walks of life on to the streets but the organisation of demonstrations was taken on by the Sudanese Professionals Association (SPA), a collaboration of doctors, health workers and lawyers.
The proportion of women among the protesters has been put as high as 70% and they come from all ages and backgrounds. They say they are also demonstrating against Sudan’s sexist attitudes in a conservative Muslim society where Sharia law is practiced.
The protesters were mostly young, reflecting the country’s demographics, but people of all ages were seen in the crowds.
The protests got serious to a point where some individual soldiers were seen protecting those in the demonstrations but there was no mass transfer of allegiance.
In the immediate aftermath of the announcement that President Bashir had been replaced by a military council the SPA called on people to maintain the sit-in outside the military HQ.
After the successful takeover, Lt Gen Awad Ibn Auf announced a three-month state of emergency and a two-year transition period to prepare for civilian rule.
Lt Gen Abdel Fattah Abdelrahman Burhan was then named as head of the transitional military council, to become Sudan’s third leader in as many days. According to the foreign ministry, Gen Burhan is committed to having a complete civilian government.
The military council has since then said that Mr Bashir is in custody. He has not been seen in public since the coup and his whereabouts are unknown. He is wanted for war crimes and crimes against humanity by the International Criminal Court in connection with the conflict in Sudan’s Darfur province.
Share the news