South Sudan’s transitional unity government has condemned the foiled coup attempt against the transitional government in Sudan.
The government and the people of the Republic of South Sudan strongly condemn this failed coup attempt and urge the Sudanese government to hold accountable all those involved.
The government of South Sudan also condemns any external interference intended to derail the peaceful transition that is currently underway in the Sudan,” South Sudan Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation said in a statement.
South Sudan’s transitional unity government considered the coup attempt is a blatant attack on the process of consolidating peace in Sudan and rejects the use of military means to undermine the power of the people and the leadership of the transitional government.
South Sudanese President Salva Kiir had telephone conversations with the Chairman of the Sudan Transitional Sovereign Council, Gen. Abdel Fattah Al-Burhan and Prime Minister Abdalla Hamdok early Tuesday after Sudanese armed forces successfully thwarted the attempted coup allegedly by supporters of former Sudanese President Omar Al-Bashir.
It also called on all parties and stakeholders in Sudan to embrace peaceful dialogue and protect the transitional government to safeguard democratic gains made during the transitional period.
Last October, Kiir mediated and oversaw the signing of the Juba Peace Agreement between the Sudan transitional government and various armed rebels from the regions of Darfur, Nuba Mountains and South Kordofan.
Former rebel fighters have been integrated into the Sudan transitional government ending decades-long conflicts waged against the Sudanese government.
In a statement, the Sudan transitional government again reaffirm their support to full implementation of the Juba Peace Agreement in Sudan, and urge the parties to recommit to it as the best path forward to achieve the legitimate goals of the Sudanese revolution.
Bashir, who had been in power for three decades, was toppled two years ago.
The current administration involving the military, civilian representatives and protest groups – was then established as part of a power-sharing agreement.
The Sudanese military as saying 21 officers and a number of soldiers had been detained in connection with the failed putsch, and are continuing to search for the rest of the culprits.
Earlier reports on Tuesday from the capital, Khartoum, and nearby Omdurman described intense military activity, and the main bridge across the River Nile was shut.
In the small hours, shooting was heard near a military base housing a tank division in Omdurman, journalist Mohammed Alamin told the BBC’s Focus on Africa programme.
The coup plotters had tried but failed to take over a building housing the state media.
Prime Minister Hamdok said his government would “take immediate measures to fortify the transition and continue to dismantle the system of the former regime, which still poses a threat to the transition”.
Several coup attempts have taken place in Sudan in the years since President Bashir was toppled. Mr Hamdok said several days of unrest in Port Sudan in the east of the country were also part of a plot to destabilise the country.
There has been tension within the Sovereign Council which is supposed to be overseeing a return to civilian rule.