Ministry of interior has confirmed their rejection of a request made by the People’s Coalition for Civil Action (PCCA). In Mid-August, PCCA officials wrote a letter extended to the ministry of interior which indicated that PCCA intends to conduct anti-government protests on August 30. In their request, the coalition asked the ministry of interior to provide protection for the citizens during the protest.
However, in a unanimous decision, the police spokesman Major-General Daniel Justin has said they will not offer any form of protection to the individuals involved in the said protests. It still remains unclear whether the group will continue with their plans as scheduled for August 3oth.
Following the request issued by PCCA, Dr. Riek Machar, the First Vice President of South Sudan came up to issue a strong warning to people participating in the ongoing mobilization for protests against the government of President Salva Kiir Mayardit will destabilize the country days after the group presented their request to the Ministry of Interior. He also says only the implementation of the revitalized peace agreement will be a better solution to concerns raised by civil society organizations.
In a statement last week, the acting press secretary in the Office of the First Vice President who also serves as the SPLM-IO Director of Information and Public Relations, Puok Both Baluang, re-assures the country that the Revitalized Agreement for Resolution of Conflict in South Sudan has the remedy to all problems South Sudan is facing.
The civil rights advocacy group which was established in early August has since launched a public campaign to demand political change in South Sudan with expectations of making the country a better place for inhabiting all citizens.
A senior leader of the group who was a former governor of Northern Bahr el Ghazal state, Kuel Aguer Kuel, has since been taken into custody by the National Security Service (NSS) in the capital Juba for signing the campaign’s declaration and the rest are still on the run for their dear lives being hunted by the ruling party..
General Justin said the request has been rejected by the police authorities warning the public not to take part in the demonstration claiming that the organization has not been registered as an entity by the government and thereby rendering it illegal. These raises concerns on the legality of the operation by the PCCA group, a blame that seems political.
The general however has strongly advised them demonstrators to desist and refrain from all acts that do not follow the law. General Justin also cautioned the demonstrators saying that If they want to exercise their right to free expression, they must work with security agencies to organize forces to ensure that their demonstration is safe.
According to the general, the organization did not guarantee in their letter to the ministry of interior that their protests would not turn violent saying the government also want the protesters to disclose how many people are taking part in the protest for it to be more authentic for the Ministry of Interior to approve their request..
Share the news